2013 Terry J. Hillman Honours Educational Prize
The Murray-Darling Freshwater Research Centre (MDFRC) was established in 1986, and has become one of Australia's leading sources of scientific advice on freshwater ecological systems. The MDFRC has a vision of: Healthy and productive aquatic ecosystems in the Murray-Darling Basin.
In targeting this vision, the overarching mission of the MDFRC is: The generation, synthesis and communication of freshwater ecological science fundamental to the protection and enhancement of the natural assets of the Murray-Darling Basin.
Dr Terry Hillman was the second Director of the MDFRC from 1993 to 2001, and this is the sixth year that the Honours Educational Prize has been offered. The Prize is administered by The Murray-Darling Freshwater Research Centre. Further information on the MDFRC can be found at www.mdfrc.org.au
Any student intending to commence their Honours in Semester 1 2013 from either Charles Sturt University or La Trobe University. To be eligible, the student's project must foster research that is of direct relevance to environmental management of riverine and wetland ecosystems of the Murray or Murrumbidgee catchments.
Applicants must have an MDFRC researcher as a joint supervisor of their project.
Any area of Natural Resource Management, especially if the project fosters research that is of direct relevance to environmental management of riverine and wetland ecosystems in the Murray or Murrumbidgee catchments, through increasing the linkages between researchers at MDFRC and Charles Sturt University or La Trobe University Honours students.
Criteria considered when assessing applications are:
1. Academic background; and
2. Project proposal developed in conjunction with research staff from MDFRC.
5.00 pm on Friday 15 March 2013. Please Note that NO LATE APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED.
Terms and Conditions
1) The Prize will be paid in two (2) equivalent amounts at the beginning of 1st and 2nd semester of study (The 2013 Educational Prize is valued at $3,000 in total). The prize will be paid into the student's nominated bank account. The second payment will be made subject to the submission of a progress report from the applicant's supervisors, indicating progress, and notification that the student is an on-going enrolment at their institution.
2) The recipient must acknowledge sponsorship of the Terry J. Hillman Honours Educational Prize and The Murray-Darling Freshwater Research Centre in all publicity and reports.
3) The recipient will be required to email a .pdf version of their final thesis to the MDFRC Governance and Knowledge Officer, Ms Rosie Busuttil to : firstname.lastname@example.org Recipients are also required to deliver a final project seminar to the MDFRC staff.
4) If a student is awarded the Terry J. Hillman Honours Educational Prize and then subsequently defers from their Honours year, then the Prize will be forfeited.
5) An Educational Prize is not necessarily awarded each year.
6) Determination of the recipient's taxability of the Educational Prize is the sole responsibility of the applicant. Visit the link to the following Australian Taxation Office dichotomous key http://calculators.ato.gov.au/scripts/axos/axos.asp?CONTEXT=&KBS=iScholarship.XR4&go=ok
Submitting Your Application
The proposal should include:
- Supervisors names ** Applicants must have a MDFRC researcher as a joint supervisor **
- Background (the problem and/or question being addressed, with relevant references)
- Brief literature review (which attempts to answer the question based on what is currently known and which concludes with a research hypothesis)
- Methods (description of study sites, measurements, ethics or other permit requirements and study design)
- Research plan with timeline, and
- The proposal should not exceed four typed pages.
In addition, please include your resume (together with your academic results) and a letter of endorsement from your supervisors.
All applicants will be advised by mail of the success or otherwise of their application. Short-listed candidates may be called for an interview.
For More Information
Contact Dr Gavin Rees, Assistant Director MDFRC, via email: Gavin.Rees@latrobe.edu.au
Ms Rosie Busuttil
Governance and Knowledge Officer
MDFRC, PO Box 991, WODONGA Vic 3689
Envelopes must be clearly marked "Terry J. Hillman Honours Educational Prize 2013"
Please ensure that you have attached the following:
- Project Proposal
- Resume (including current contact details and copy of Academic Record)
- Letter of endorsement from your University supervisor
Terry_J_Hillman_Brochure_2013.pdf (257 KB)